Last updated on July 25th, 2023 at 01:32 am
Nylon was the first man made organic textile fibre made from the raw materials from the mineral kingdom. It is a manufactured fibre in which the fibre forming substance is long chain, synthetic polyamide having recurring amide groups (-CO-NH-) as an integral part of the molecular chain.
- Tenacity: 4-9 gm/den (dry), in wet 90% of dry.
- Elasticity: Breaking extension is 20-40%.
- Stiffness: 20-40 gm/den.
- Moisture regain: 3.5-5%; (not absorbent due to crystallinity).
- Specific gravity: 1.14.
- Abrasion resistance: Excellent.
- Dimensional stability: Good.
- Resiliency: Excellent.
- Softening point: Nylon 6,6 – 2290C, Nylon 6 – 1490C.
- Melting point: Nylon 6,6 – 2520C, Nylon 6 – 2150C.
- Hand feel: Soft and smooth.
Chemical Properties Nylon
- Acid: Nylon 6,6 is attacked by mineral acids is disintegrated or dissolved almost. But is inert to dilute acetate acid and formic acids even of the boil. It is dissolved in the concentrated formic acid. Nylon 6 is attacked by mineral acid but resistant to dilute boiling organic acid.
- Bleaches: Not attacked by oxidizing and reducing bleaches but may be harmed by chlorine and strong oxidizing bleaches.
- Alkali: Nylon is substantially inert to alkalis.
- Organic solvent: Most of the solvent have little or no effect on nylon. Phenol metacressol and formic acid dissolve the fibre but solvents used in stain removal and dry cleaning do not damage it.
- Light: No discoloration. Nylon 6 gradually loss of strength on prolonged extension.
- Biological: Neither micro organism nor moth, larvae attack nylon.
- Electrical: High insulating properties leads to static charges on the fibre.
- Flammability: Burns slowly.
End Uses of Nylon
High tenacity nylons are used for parachute fabrics, cords and ropes. Having good dimensional stability, are used for ladies gloves, ladies hose, under wear, swimming wear, stocking, hosiery fabric etc.
It is used for home furnishing, in carpets, in upholstery and in ropes and cords.
In finishing nets, tire cords, filtering cloths, sewing threads, tow ropes are made of Nylon. It is used in manufacturing of belts of various machines (Flat belt, V-belts).